Cleaning a driveway goes a long way in keeping it free of damage. There are various methods of eradicating automotive stains.
For people in a hurry, there are solvents on the market to help eradicate all automotive stains quickly. There are also various DIY methods for those who like to use their hands.
There are also environmentally conscious methods like the use of cat litter. The variety almost guarantees a technique for everyone.
How to Remove Oil Stains from your Driveway
Oil stains on the driveway are an annoying eyesore.
Luckily there are multiple solutions to the problem. All these methods are always more effective when applied as soon as possible. Here they are –
Remove Oil Stains from your Driveway Using a Waterless Concrete Cleaner
Requirements from this method are:
- A waterless concrete cleaner like BacKrete concrete cleaner (Buy on Amazon)
This method is as follows:
- Apply the concrete cleaner
- Brush the concrete
- Rinse off with the water
This method utilizes organic compounds as such, and it may not be as effective in certain conditions such as in high temperatures or cold.
Depending on the size of the stain, this process may take weeks to have visible results. The process is also very environmentally friendly.
Find out more by watching this video –
Remove Oil Stains from your Driveway Using a pressure washer
- A pressure washer (Explore top ones here>)
- Power source
- Water source
This is the most direct method that will be immediately apparent to most users. The only requirements are a commonly available washer to hose down the oil from the concrete.
This method follows these steps:
- Connect power washer to the power source
- Ensure it’s connected to the water source
- With the high pressure of the water aimed at the stain. It will wash off the oil as well as cleanout other stains.
It may, however, not be as effective when it comes to more significant stains, as water does not mix with water.
Check out this quick video for more –
Remove Oil Stains from your Driveway Using dish soap
- Some Dish Soap
- A paper towel
Dish soap is designed to be able to cut through the grease. This same technology gives it great utility when cutting through oil-based stains on the driveway.
To effectively use this method. Follow these steps:
- Mix the soap with a bit of water and spread over the oil stain.
- After some time has passed about 25 minutes.
- Gently scrub the area with a brush then continue to dab the spot with a paper towel.
Watch here for more –
When working with an automotive, getting oil on the concrete of your driveway is almost inevitable. The following are some ways to clean it up.
Remove Transmission Fluid Stains from Driveway with Kitty Litter
The requirements here include:
- Kitty litter (Check top brands here>)
- A brush
People who own a cat have an advantage over those that do not here. Kitty litter can be very useful, especially in getting rid of small stains.
It is absorbent can lift liquid that has not seeped into the concrete too deeply. Follow these steps to use it effectively:
- Apply kitty litter to the stain
- Let it sit for a few minutes
- From there, apply some water and scrub away with a brush. This should get rid of smaller stains. The faster this method is applied, the more effective it is.
This method will not be effective against more deeply rooted stains.
If you would like more information, watch this video –
Remove Transmission Fluid Stains from Driveway with WD-40
The requirements for this method are:
- WD-40 (Buy here>)
WD-40 is an excellent tool for lubricating, and it is also immensely helpful in the winter as it prevents keep the car locks from freezing. WD-40 is also a great moisture remover.
This helps remove transmission fluid from the driveway.
- One applies the WD-40 on the stain
- Proceeds to wash it away with water.
- This could get rid of smaller stains.
This method is most effective when applied as fast as the stain has been made. The longer the stain settled, the harder it is to get rid of it.
Watch this video for the in-depth process –
Remove Transmission Fluid Stains from Driveway Using commercial concrete cleaners
- A commercial concrete cleaner (Here are some great choices>)
- Some water
The market has a variety of options for cleaning transmission fluid from concrete floors. A lot of these utilize biochemical solutions.
However, not every product out there is right for every stain.
Most of the cleaner will come with specific instructions on how to use them. One should also not hesitate to ask the assistants on how to use it best.
The vast majority of the cleaners would require the user to apply the product on the stain.
It follows these steps:
- Wait for it to settle for a while, sometimes weeks depending on the severity of the stain.
- Then continue to wash off the stain with water.
This video will show you more –
How to remove gasoline stains from driveway Using muriatic acid
In the process of filling up your vehicle with gasoline, some of it is bound to spill.
This could stain your driveway, creating an eyesore. Below are some ways of getting rid of them.
Muriatic acid can be easily found in most swimming pool supply and hardware stores.
The requirements for this process are:
- Muriatic acid (Buy here>)
- A hose
- Five-gallon bucket
The steps involved are as follows:
- Mix one gallon of acid with four gallons of water in a five-gallon bucket. Try not to inhale the fumes, preferably wear a mask.
- Spread the mixture over the affected place and let it sit for about 10 minutes
- Then continue to rinse it off with the hose
- Repeat if there is need to
Check out this video for more –
How to remove gasoline stains from driveway Using powdered dish soap
- Powdered dish soap
The steps taken are:
- Wet the affected areas on the driveway
- Sprinkle the powdered dish soap on the wet concrete as you see fit
- Brush the area around with a broom
- Let the area sit for about 2 hours. Note, if left too long it might bleach the concrete
- Wash the area off with water
- Repeat if there is need to
Here is a quick video showing you what to do –
How to remove gasoline stains from driveway Using a power washer
The requirements for this are:
- A power washer
- Power source
Cleaning gasoline satins using a power washer is fairly straight forward. These steps are as follows:
- Plug the power washer to a power source
- Connect the power washer to a source of water
- Point the power washer to the stain and direct the stream to the stain. One should be careful as a power washer could cause serious injury
- Continue until completely clean
Watch this video to see this process in action –
How to remove oil stains from your asphalt driveway
An asphalt driveway is on the exterior part of the garage.
As a result, it is prone to stains that can occur on the inside as well as the outside of the house. It also results in the garage being prone to a greater variety of stains as compared to just concrete.
Stains from dirt come from gravel and soil deposited on the asphalt.
This does not only contribute to creating an unattractive sight but can actively damage the driveway when vehicles drive over it.
The other type of stain is the oil-based stains. These could come from gasoline, lubricants such as oil and transmission oils.
These create an ugly sight, especially considering it is outdoor next to the house.
Difference between concrete and asphalt driveway cleaning?
A concrete will require a lot more maintenance as compared to asphalt.
This is especially true when it comes to cleaning requirements.
Oil stains, gas, and chemical stains are more apparent on concrete driveways as compared to asphalt ones. As such, there is more agency in the need to clean concrete driveways.
Some of the ways to clean asphalt are as follows:
Using dish soap
This method is popular as it can be easily implemented, given its ease of availability. The requirements for this method are:
- Dish soap
- A bristled brush
- A bucket
The steps are cleaning are as follows:
- Mix the soap and water in the bucket
- Pour the soapy water on the affected area
- Brush the affected area until the water color changes to a dark color
- Proceed to wash the area down with some water
This video will help you through the process –
Using cat litter
This method is most effective when it is applied immediately after the spill has occurred. The requirements include:
- Cat litter
The steps are as follows:
- Apply the cat litter to the stain. It will absorb the moisture
- Let it sit for a few minutes
- Clear the cat litter and wash off what remains with water.
This method may not be appropriate for much larger stains. Watch this video to find out more –
Commercial oil solvents
The market has a variety of solvents like brake cleaners and oven cleaners.
All these will serve out the purpose of cleaning oil from asphalt. These are particularly applicable where other methods like soap and water have not been helpful.
The requirements are:
- The oil solvent
- A brush
These are the steps to be used:
- Apply the solvent into the cracks
- Use the brush to get into the cracks
- Rinse of the area with water
It is important to observe safety as oil solvents are usually toxic and flammable. Check out this video for more information –
Driveway construction is an expensive endeavor, regardless of the material.
Proper maintenance and cleaning the utility offered will justify the construction cost in the long run.
Proper cleaning does not only enhance the aesthetic quality of the driveway but can go a long way in saving you repair costs.